Summer time can unfortunately be a time where we are not careful about the products we put on our skin. Some of the worst contenders are commercial sun screens and bug sprays. Luckily, there are quality natural sunscreens and bug sprays on the market. These can sometimes be more pricey though. If you find yourself with a bite here are some tips on how to naturally relive a bug bite:
Essential oils can help take the sting out of a bug bite:
- Lavender essential oils takes away the itching, almost instantly.
- Tea tree oil also takes the itch out of a bug bite if you don’t have lavender oil around.
- To take the swelling out of a bite, a few drops of peppermint oil will help.
- An easy way to always have a bit of bug bite remedy around is to combine the peppermint oil and lavender with a natural base, such as pure aloe vera. Mix equal parts peppermint and lavender 5-6 drops each to 2-3 tbs. aloe vera. Store in a small container for use at the first sign of a bite.
Other natural remedies include:
- Vinegar: Non filtered Apple Cider Vinegar can help take the sting out of a bug bite. Citrus juice such as lemon or lime will do the trick as well!
- Witch hazel can help with swelling
- Baking soda mixed with a few drops of water to make a paste. You can use salt and water as well can help reduce swelling and redness.
- Honey has been shown to be anti-inflammatory. It can help take the redness and swelling from a bite.
- Cold black tea bags – Cover the bite with the tea bags. This can help with redness and itching.
- Cold water or ice – the body’s blood vessels restrict with cold water or ice. As the blood vessels restrict, the body is less likely to release histamine (the chemical reaction that causes you to itch).
Next time you are plagued with bug bites, try out one of these natural remedies and take the sting out without harsh chemicals.