Healthy skin starts from the inside out. Besides the many health benefits of staying hydrated there are also benefits of staying hydrated for healthy skin. First lets discuss the many healthy benefits of drinking enough water everyday. It’s recommended that adult males drink on average 11 cups of water a day and adult females drink 9 cups of water a day. This is to maintain optimal health. Why is it important to drink this much water? Did you know that on average you lose 4-9 cups of water a day just from daily functions like sweating, waste removal and breathing?
Even mild dehydration can cause some severe health problems. Lack of adequate water in the body causes blood vessels to restrict. This reaction can cause asthma, migraines and headaches from reduce blood flow to the head and even hypertension (which is a factor in heart attacks). Dehydration, even mild dehydration has also been shown to reduce memory, cognitive skills, coordination and motor skills. Dehydration also causes the body to retain water.
The skin also benefits from adequate daily water consumption. Here are 5 reasons to drink water for healthy skin:
1. Drinking adequate water helps reduce water retention. The swollen puffy areas around the eyes will be reduced with adequate water consumption.
2. Well hydrated skin radiates from within. To have a truly radiant complexion, you have to be well hydrated.
3. Skin problems like eczema, psoriasis and to an extent wrinkles are likely to flare up with the lack of adequate water intake. The skin and scalp are naturally more hydrated when you drink enough water, causing problems like dry skin, eczema and even dandruff to be lessened when you hydrated.
4. Water helps distribute and deliver essential nutrients throughout the body, including the skin. When there is not adequate water, the skin may be missing out on those vitamins and nutrients it needs to repair itself. This may cause fine lines or wrinkles.
5. Drinking water with fruit, veggies and herbs in it helps naturally add essential vitamins, antioxidants and minerals to the body. Berries are rich in Vitamin C which can help produce collagen in the skin, which is what keeps the skin elastic and less likely to wrinkle and sag. Cucumbers, limes, lemons can help detoxify the body naturally, with the help of water of course, which will help rejuvenate skin. Watermelon is great for skin. It’s has a powerful antioxidant called lycopene that is thought to help slow aging of the skin quite effectively.